Last month, we put together an infographic that featured a list of search marketers' greatest fears. The post got more than a few shares, and it also prompted the question, "Well, what can we do about it?"
We got you covered. We dug deeper, and we found a post by Reginald Chan that aggregated useful tips and advice from 21 industry experts.
Here's how you face your fears as an SEO and become a true SEO master.
The Way Of The SEO Master
In our last post, we aggregated, analyzed and organized the fears that keep search marketers up in 2014.
The world is getting more complex, and SEO is getting more challenging.
Some apprehension is warranted.
But fear exists to be conquered,
And to aid you on that quest we found a post by Reginald Chan and sought out the wisdom of the masters.
May you, through your toil and trouble, grow wise in turn.
Start by Creating
"Write it, shoot it, publish it, crochet it, sauté it, whatever, MAKE." - Joss Whedon
Content marketing it’s a long term strategy that seems to work for any type of business.
Neil Patel, Founder, Quicksprout
Blog it shows search engines that your site is updated regularly adds keywords to your site and gives social a place to source content.
Eric T. Tung, Founder & Social Media Consultant, Ericttung.com
Quality content development and promotion. Combined, you will be able to gain likes and social mentions in a natural way that Google can’t complain about.
Kristi Hines, Founder, Kikolani
Read next: 24 juicy expert tips for ecommerce content marketing
Provide solutions for others and your content will be shared and linked to organically.
Brian D. Hawkins, Founder, Hot Blot Tips
In 2014. I’m going to write some of the best stuff I’ve ever written and it’s not going to have a single keyword in it (no on purpose anyway). Stop chasing something that is going to change.
Wade Harman, Relationship Marketing Architect, Wadeharman.com
Go Big Or Go Home
Don’t try to over optimize your articles for SEO as Google knows what you are doing to get higher SERP. In short – Write quality and big articles for getting better results.
Kulwant Nagi, Entrepreneur and Blogger, Blogging Cage
Create something amazing and get the media fascinated by it. Pay for a survey and release the results in a press release, an infographic, a slide show and a video, and hit the road with the information, taking it to every blogger and every publication you can find.
David Leonhardt, Chief SEO Consultant, The Happy Guy Marketing
For every piece of content that you create and publish, try to make it matter by sharing only your best ideas and/or visuals.
Neal Schaffer, Author, Maximize your Social
Master Your Tools
"Give us the tools and we will finish the job." – Winston Churchill
Use SEO Plugins on Wordpress
Use some already proven SEO tools and plugins for WordPress, which can make your page SEO easier and more beneficial and remember the title of famous story. Slow and steady wins the race.
Ammar Ali, Founder, All Blogging Tips
With the help of SEO reseller services, companies can unlock their online visibility potential and create a powerful online presence.
One of the best ways to improve your website's online visibility is to master SEO with reliable and effective SEO services.
Be Vigilant Against Spammy Links
"People forget how fast you did a job, but they remember how well you did it." -Howard Newton
Guest blog, carefully
Guest blogging is one of the very best ways of building links, traffic and brands but many who do it, do it carelessly. Select a sensible target website. Write a post that really offers value to readers and demonstrates your expertise.
Niall Devitt, Co – Founder, Tweak Your Biz
Check your internal link structure
When you take on a new project, ask what other domains they own and check that they’re redirecting properly. It’s also helps with the user experience, say if someone tried to access one of the other domains but didn’t get through to the main site.
Steve Morgan, Founder, Morgan Online Marketing & Seono
Replicate competitor backlinks
Replicate your competitors backlinks. A lot of people overlook this tactic, but it is the foundation of every single SEO campaign I have ever launched.
Matthew Woodward, Blogger, Founder, Matthewwoodward.co.uk
Generate backlinks organically
Obviously being natural when generating backlinks to a blog is of most importance. With that said it’s important to have a diverse range of incoming links to our websites or blogs. Guest Blogging, Social Media, Bookmarking, Twitter, Facebook and more should be used to create a diverse portfolio of backlinks.
Brian Belfitt, Owner & Founder, Blog Engage
Put People First.
"Politeness is to human nature what warmth is to wax." -Arthur Schopenhauer
You don’t build 100 relationships like you build 100 links but you can get thousands of links once you build those 100 relationships. Making sure that people in your industry know who you are is crucial. People rarely link to sites or share their content when they don’t know them.
Tadeusz Szewczyk, Founder, Onreact.com
Focus on people, not Google
Google’s Knowledge Graph and semantic search transition from ‘’keyword strings to people, places and things’’ has resulted in an almighty shift in how professional SEO’s must now think, process information and work with clients.
Tony Dimmock, Founder & Owner, Dimmock Web Marketing
I believe that the people who will have the best SEO in 2014 and beyond will be the people who understand and learn more everyday about influence.
Renaud Gagne, Founder, Renaudgagne.com
Put yourself out there.
"Every day, you should reach out and touch someone." – Maya Angelou
Market to influencers
A lot of experienced SEO’s will probably think of this as ‘ego baiting’. Share their content (and tag/mention them). Link out to a blog past (and tell them about it). Help them out with something involve them in your content.
Adam Connell, Founder, Blogging, Wizard
Read next: 24+ examples of marketing through influencers
Every time I publish a blog post, I email 200 people to let them know about it. I don’t ask them to share. I just send the link to it. I just find people who would be interested in it, who own websites and put that front of them.
Brian Dean, Founder, Backlinko
Implement a solid ‘’promotional’’ strategy to be sure that each article was being found, read, shared and linked to by your target audience.
Brent Carnduff, Founder, Echelon SEO
If you aren’t ranking well for whatever reason (maybe your site is new or not well optimized yet) then getting a good social following and using it well can be a lifesaver.
Julie Joyce, Owner, Link Fish Media
Be Like Water
Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water, my friend. -Bruce Lee
Diversify and Specialize
Trends towards ‘’local SEO’’ and the importance of mobile search will continue to grow and play greater roles in the future.
Brent Carnduff, Founder, Echelon SEO
I try to educate myself on things like responsive design, user experience, conversion optimization so I can help not only with blogs, social media and search. More people will embrace adjacent disciplines in my opinion. Being an SEO who also masters UX and CRO can be a competitive advantage now.
Tadeusz Szewczyk, Founder, Onreact.com
SEO is no longer all about the links. Moving forward SEO needs to converge content, social, analytics, user experience & marketing into a much broader strategy.
Matthew Woodward, Blogger, Founder, Matthewwoodward.co.uk
What we hope ever to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. -Dr. Samuel Johnson
Your content will always show up at the top if you are considered an authority in your field. Write in–depth articles. Guest blog for the top blogs in your niche. Making sure you have Google authorship increasing your presence on Google+. Ensure that you get plenty of feedback for every piece of content such as social shares and comments.
Gazalla Gaya, Founder, Web Content Blog
Step 1: Find keywords. Step 2: Put keywords in the page title. Step 3: Put keywords in the page URL. Step 4: Put keywords in your meta description.What is the first step to successful SEO? ›
Step 1: Find keywords. Step 2: Put keywords in the page title. Step 3: Put keywords in the page URL. Step 4: Put keywords in your meta description.What are the latest SEO techniques? ›
- Target Long-tail Keywords. ...
- Use Keywords in Alt Text for Images. ...
- Use Keywords in Headers. ...
- Focus on Great UX (User Experience) ...
- Include Multiple Media Types. ...
- Use Internal Links. ...
- Focus on “Top of the Funnel” Keyword Phrases.
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the quality and quantity of website traffic to a website or a web page from search engines. SEO targets unpaid traffic (known as "natural" or "organic" results) rather than direct traffic or paid traffic.What are the 11 steps to improve SEO rankings? ›
- Understand your online customers.
- Use keywords on your website.
- Refresh your page content often.
- Gain referrals from other websites.
- Use meta tags in your content.
- Stay up to date on the latest SEO techniques.
- Study Your Competitors' Best Performing Pages. ...
- Conduct a Competitor Keyword Gap Analysis. ...
- Find (and Steal) Your Competitor's Broken Backlinks. ...
- Use Internal Links to Supercharge Page 2 Rankings. ...
- Clean Up Toxic Links. ...
- Earn Authority Backlinks with Digital PR.
- Google Ads will give in to organic search. ...
- Featured and zero-click snippets will become a go. ...
- E-A-T carries on. ...
- AI content will be overused. ...
- Google will pay more attention to entities. ...
- Google Shopping will rule e-commerce. ...
- Visual search will become more popular.
So yes, you can do SEO on your own.
The only question is whether you are willing to invest some time into learning all the aspects of SEO, or you'll hire a professional and invest your time into something else.
- Step 1: Master The Basics. ...
- Step 2: Dive Deeper Into The Technical Side. ...
- Step 3: Create An SEO Process. ...
- Step 4: Optimize Your Content. ...
- Step 5: Build Your Backlinks. ...
- Step 6: Don't Forget About Humans. ...
- Step 7: Never Stop Learning.
The checklist also covers information about best practices for title tags, meta descriptions, header tags, and more for on-page SEO. We explain how to do keyword research and incorporate keywords into your content. We cover off-page SEO strategies as well, including the importance of building backlinks.
- 1. .com. This one is a no-brainer. ...
- 2. . blog. ...
- 3. . co. ...
- 4. .io. Once country-specific, referring to the BIOT, or the British Indian Ocean Territory, the . ...
- 5. . net. ...
- 6. . org. ...
- 7. . tv. ...
- 8. . us.
SEO techniques are classified into two broad categories: White Hat SEO - Techniques that search engines recommend as part of a good design. Black Hat SEO - Techniques that search engines do not approve and attempt to minimize the effect of. These techniques are also known as spamdexing.How can we rank keywords in SEO more quickly? ›
- Keyword research. Keyword research lays the foundation for optimizing your site. ...
- Site structure. ...
- SEO content audit. ...
- Content creation, optimization, and on-page SEO. ...
- Link earning. ...
- Social media. ...
- Track performance.
Simply put, the fundamentals of SEO can be boiled down to The 3 Cs: content, code and credibility.What are the 3 R's of SEO? ›
The Three Pillars Of SEO: Authority, Relevance, And Experience.What is the best SEO strategy for 2023? ›
- Identify the right keywords. Keywords are super important for SEO. ...
- Create relevant content. ...
- Optimize page titles and descriptions. ...
- Optimize images. ...
- Use internal links. ...
- Optimize URLs. ...
- Reduce website load time. ...
- Build quality backlinks.
- 1 Build an email list. ...
- 2 Blog regularly. ...
- 3 Engage with audiences on social media. ...
- 5 Create an account on StumbleUpon. ...
- 6 Do an SEO audit of your site. ...
- 7 Do more guest blogging. ...
- 8 Use internal links. ...
- 9 Leverage the power of visual content.
An SEO tactic, is considered as Black Hat or Spamdexing if it has the following features: Attempting ranking improvements that are disapproved by the search engines and/or involve deception. Redirecting users from a page that is built for search engines to one that is more human friendly.What is advanced SEO strategies? ›
Advanced SEO typically involves technical concepts that are somewhat advanced, and/or a deeper understanding of the workings of Google's algorithm and are often employed by Professional SEOs.What makes a strong SEO? ›
A webpage which is content-rich, authoritative, unbiased, and helps visitors learn more about what they are interested in is most likely to attract links from other websites, which improves your search engine optimization. Improve your authority and credibility by adding relevant links within the text.
1. Use Keywords In The Right Places. You probably already know that you should add keywords to pages that you want to rank. But where you use your keywords is just as important as how many times you use them.Will SEO exist in 5 years? ›
Will SEO exist in 5 years? Yes, SEO will exist for the foreseeable future. Businesses rely on SEO to ensure their content appears in SERPs, even as algorithms and features adapt to users' needs. This won't change within the next handful of years.Can you learn SEO in 3 months? ›
Experts say it usually takes one to three months to learn the foundations of SEO and a year or more to master the practice fully. The length of time it takes to learn the basics of SEO depends upon several factors.Can I learn SEO in one day? ›
Learning all the intricacies of SEO in a single day is not a realistic goal. SEO is a multifaceted and constantly evolving field that requires significant time and effort to grasp fully.Where can I learn SEO for free? ›
- WordPress. There's no substitute for getting out there and trying to do some SEO for yourself, and you can't really do SEO without your own website. ...
- Google Analytics. ...
- Google Search Console. ...
- Google Skillshop. ...
- Google's Online Marketing Challenge. ...
- Majestic. ...
- Yoast SEO.
- Step 1: Determine Site Architecture. ...
- Step 2: Choose Target Keyword. ...
- Step 3: Include Target Keyword in URL. ...
- Step 4: Include Target Keyword in Title Tag. ...
- Step 5: Summarize Target Keyword in Meta Description. ...
- Step 6: Add Structured Data to Page.
- Brush up on your SEO skills. ...
- Create a personal website. ...
- Update your resume and portfolio. ...
- Dedicate time to thought leadership. ...
- Reach out to your existing network, while also making new connections. ...
- Consider your pricing strategy. ...
- Build your SEO toolkit.
- Know who you're cooking for.
- Feed them something delicious.
- Make them come back for seconds.
- Use unique ingredients.
- Clear the pests from the kitchen.
- Make your site interesting and useful.
- Know what your readers want (and give it to them)
- Act in a way that cultivates user trust.
- Make expertise and authoritativeness clear.
- Provide an appropriate amount of content for your subject.
- Avoid distracting advertisements.
- Use links wisely.
Does domain name matter for SEO? A domain name's length, keywords, and extension are critical components of an SEO strategy. A trustworthy, focused, and simple domain name will get more traffic and interest from people and search engines.
net means “network”. .com is generally considered to be better for SEO, as most internet users associate the .com extension with any website, purely out of habit. There are other extensions for domains, in particular country codes, such as .What does SERP mean? ›
Search Engine Results Page (SERP) The page that a search engine returns after a user submits a search query. In addition to organic search results, search engine results pages (SERPs) usually include paid search and pay-per-click (PPC) ads.What are the 3 types of SEO that can be implemented on your site? ›
On-page SEO – Anything on your web pages – Blogs, product copy, web copy. Off-page SEO – Anything which happens away from your website that helps with your SEO Strategy- Backlinks. Technical SEO – Anything technical undertaken to improve Search Rankings – site indexing to help bot crawling.What are the top 10 searched topics on Google? ›
- Cruise Line News.
- Cryptocurrency News.
- Ecommerce News.
- Jobs & Career News.
- Media & Entertainment News.
- Social Media News.
- Software & Technology News.
- Travel News.
How many keywords are too many? The ideal keyword density preferred by both readers and search engines is around two to five percent. Even in longer pieces, the best practice is not to exceed 20 uses per webpage.How many keywords are too much for SEO? ›
It's easier for pages to rank if they focus on one topic, so you should focus on two or three primary keywords per page that are reworded variations. Targeting four or more keywords is difficult because there is limited space in the title and meta description tags to target them.What are the 3 steps to successful SEO? ›
- Step #1 Get to Know Your Buyers and Their Search Habits. ...
- Step #2 Optimize Your Website and Add New Content. ...
- Step #3 Maximize Conversions From Website Visitors.
Begin by consulting with your client and finding out what they want to accomplish. Ultimately, the project should aim to satisfy the specific needs of your client's business. Construct an SEO strategy that is designed to help you hit your targets.What are the 5 components of SEO? ›
- Technical SEO.
- On-Page SEO.
- Off-Page SEO. Conclusion.
- Execute keyword research for various websites/projects and prepare & optimize content silos.
- Perform on-page optimization, including internal linking, meta data, keyword usage and density, etc.
SEO is the process of growing a website's organic search traffic. You do this by ranking in organic search results. SEO is important because you're unlikely to rank well without it. Ranking high gets you free, passive, and consistent traffic month after month.